When you get right down to it, it’s not so easy to prove that a plant is living. Its mostly prior knowledge that tells me it is in fact alive. One way I can tell my plants are alive is their growth. We planted tiny little seeds, which then turned into sprouts, then tiny plants, and finally big plants. They are doing very well - sure there are some holes in the leaves from predators but the plants are overall healthy. i watch them get bigger and healthier all the time. In a way, watching the seed grow was like watching a child grow. I watched it get bigger and healthier each time I checked up on it. As well as growth, I could see the plants reacting to their environment. When they are very small still, you can see them grow into the light, away from the shade of other plants. Its color changes and its leaves change, partially having to do with how wet the plant is and if it’s getting enough water. In addition to size and mass, we could, eventually, measure the amount of seed pods it produces at the end of its life. also, knowing the amount of cells would show us it’s changing and alive.
No comments:
Post a Comment